Wednesday, April 15, 2009

"I have to peeeeeee...."


Every parent with kids out of diapers has heard these words at some point in time. Most importantly however, is the fact that they never come at a good opportunity. This was the case last week. We were driving home from the babysitters (6 miles to be exact) and my daughter says she has to pee. I turn around in the passengers seat and tell her to hold it. She smiles that sweet smile and says okay. About 1 mile laterI can see her wriggling in her seat and swaying side-to-side. These are sure signs of a potty emergency. Unfortunately there was no restroom that was easily accessible at that moment, so I did what any logical parent would do - I told my husband to pull over.

We pulled over into a huge, empty parking lot and parked discretely so that no one could see my daughter doing her business in the empty spot next to us. The boys laugh and say, "girls can't pee standing up", I assure them that mom will help Kensie figure it out. It's also at this moment that I remember an invention that I'd recently seen on The Doctors, and thought, who needs that thing...well, at that moment, I truly needed the Go Girl. So here I am stripping my daughter's pants and underwear off because I knew she would pee on them. Never did I imagine that I'd need to worry about her shoes. As she is peeing, she starts saying, "my sandals, my sandals!!" To stop the hysterics I lift her up by the armpits and am shouting "bend your knees" while I hold her up and out to keep her from peeing on me and herself.

As you can imagine Michael and the boys were cracking up, as I kept looking around for the police to arrest me for indecent exposure or child molestation!!!

2 comments:

  1. Too funny, Melissa. I'm sure it would come in handy at times to have one of these. I read about it on someone else's blog too. Sounds like you handled the emergency calmly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen that thing before...I think I may need to order one now that the twins are potty trained! Can't wait to hang out tomorrow night, I'll have my lawn chair and magazines :)!

    ReplyDelete